Associate Civil Roster mediators are trained mediators who are in the process of gaining mediation experience and are available to co-mediate with Civil Roster mediators.
Criteria for Admission
To be admitted to the Associate Civil Roster, mediators must have:
- at least 40 hours of core education in conflict resolution and mediation theory and skills training, including 10 hours of simulated or role play mediation
- at least 100 additional hours of training in dispute resolution or in a related field;
- two professional references; and
- insurance coverage.
Co-mediations are mediations in which:
- the Associate actively participated in and shared responsibility for managing the mediation process;
- the Associate did not act primarily as an observer; and
- at least one of the mediators received some monetary consideration for the mediation services.
On Co-Mediation is a short series from the Mediate BC Blog that delves into the benefits of co-mediation for skill development and importantly the options for business development. Those considering applying to an Associate Roster are advised to read this short series.
Detailed requirements are located on the Application Form: Associate Civil Roster.
Information Regarding Education and Training Requirements