A Case for Mediation: The Cost-Effectiveness of Civil, Family, and Workplace Mediation
Recognizing government, families and businesses want cost and time-effective dispute resolution processes, in 2013 Mediate BC prepared a business case for the use of mediation. A Case for Mediation: The Cost-Effectiveness of Civil, Family, and Workplace Mediation indicates five ways in which the use of mediation can help save individuals, families, government and businesses money:
1. By resolving conflicts outside of, or earlier in, the court system, limited court resources can be re-allocated to other matters.
2. For both civil litigants and families, mediation saves money in legal and court fees.
3. Family mediation produces better psychosocial outcomes than adversarial approaches, and this could result in reduced use of publicly-funded social assistance and other social services.
4. Mediation reduces conflict in the workplace, which saves businesses significant money.
5. Mediation can reduce the cost of civil litigation in which government, crown corporations and/or businesses are involved.
To read the full report, click here.